Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Balance Meter

We're all familiar with American-British synonyms like fries and chips.  In the audio world alone radio is wireless, tube is valve, ground is earth, and calling a VU meter a balance meter is downright poetic.

Balance deals with more than just volume - it's a guiding principle in audio from design to production.  And it's a sensible approach to living: a balanced diet, finding balance between mental and physical activity, the familiar and the new, being with others and being alone, loving yourself enough and not too much.

So when I wear the symbol of a balance meter on my lapel I'm not only honoring the field of sound and audio which has been my passion since childhood and my profession since 1972, but reminding myself with every step and with every breath to keep my balance.  


No comments: